Turkey stuffed with chestnuts
Ingredients for 4 people:
- 1 whole turkey, weighing about 2 kg
- 2 scallions
- 200 g of cooked ham
- 500 g of boiled and peeled chestnuts
- 2 soft sandwiches
- 1 l of vegetable stock
- extra-virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper
A typical American recipe revised and enhanced with a gourmet product coming from Lazio, in Central Italy.
- Peel and chop the scallions.
- Put them in a pan and pour 4 tablespoons of olive oil in.
- Brown the scallions for 5 minutes on low heat.
- Add the chestnuts and cook for 1 minute.
- Soak the sandwiches with milk and crush them.
- Add them to the chestnuts.
- Season with parsley, nutmeg, salt and pepper.
- Cook for 1 minute, remove from the heat and let it cool down.
- Wash the turkey and dry it.
- Season it with salt on the inside.
- Stuff it with the bread and chestnuts mix.
- Seal it tightly with some kitchen twine.
- Brush the turkey with oil.
- Put it on a greased baking pan and cook it at 200°C for 20 minutes.
- Lower the temperature at 160°C.
- Cook for 2 hours, drizzling the turkey often with the vegetable stock.