Mozzarella in carrozza
Ingredients for 4 people:
- 8 slices of sliced toast bread
- 250 g of Mozzarella di Bufala Campana DOP
- 2 eggs
- 100 g of flour
- 100 ml of milk
- 0,5 lt. of extra-virgin olive oil
A stimulating recipe created in Campania and known in Lazio: a gluttony sin allowed once in a while!
- Cut the mozzarella in 1 cm thick slices.
- Put the slices to drain in a colander.
- Cut the crust from the bread slices.
- Place 4 slices of mozzarella each on bread slice.
- Cover with the remaining bread slices.
- Cut each toast in half to make 8 triangles.
- Pour the milk in a bowl and add a pinch of salt.
- Pop the eggs open in another bowl and whisk them, then add a pinch of salt.
- Quickly dip each triangle in the milk.
- Dip each triangle in the flour (take care to dip the sides).
- Dip each triangle in the eggs.
- Put them in a pan with hot oil.
- Fry until each side is golden and crispy.
- Drain on paper.
- Serve hot.